Pinar del Río, Cuba, Jul 15 – The biggest history museum of the western province of Pinar del Rio, with a neoclassic architecture, will recover its original appearance after a refurbishment process in all its facilities, where treasures of the pre-Colombus era are kept.
Built in the last decades of the 19th Century as a house, the construction became later on in the colonial period the headquarters of the local government and during the Republican years (1902-1959).
The building located in the central Jose Marti Street, the main street of this city still keeps components of the original front as the seven arched columns. Years after interior courtyards at the Seville style, Maria de las Nieves Ramos, director of the cultural institution told Prensa Latina.
As part of the rescue project, she said, “we pretend to recreate the governor’s office and make space to expose the highly valued paintings collection that make up the museum funds.
The last work of the famous Cuban painter Domingo Ramos, master of landscape, highlights the center’s heritage.
Sugar plantations, fruit trees and tobacco plants -traditional crop of the region-, converge on canvas, together with the nearby mountains of the Sierra del Rosario, Reserve of the Biosphere.
Known as the painter of the Viñales Valley, Ramos (1894-1956) revealed with his brushes and colors the beauty of the Pinar del Rio landscape, to make the admired paintings in national and foreign galleries for centuries.
The prolific artist decorated walls of the Cuban Presidential Palace, the National Capital and other buildings.
The halls of the History Provincial Museum also show the work Framboyan, of the reknowned painter Tiburcio Lorenzo, another of the main figures of that gender in the island.
Among the relics of this place stands out the original coat of arms of the territory, elegant banners of the 19th century, a French porcelain vase and a gold and precious stone cane. Belonging to the colonial era, as well as miniatures, well kept objects, assured Ramos.
Vestige of sp-called secondary tombs, practiced by the indigenous of that territory, together with primitive work instruments, are conserved at the museum.
Identified as Guanahatabeyes, primitive man in arahuaca dialect, the indigenous located in that territory lived from hunting, fishing and farming, in an economy typical of the pre-agricultural ceramic period.
Source: Prensa Latina